Monday, August 25, 2008

Lessons in Obedience

Tonight we were eating dinner with a reluctant five year old. He did the classic five year old plea.

Jack: Mommy I don't like noodles. I like them like hotdogs. (He hates hotdogs)
Me: Jack, you have to eat five bites.
Jack: How about four.
Me: How about six.
Jack: Five is good.

Time went on and Jack proceeded to whine. I told him all bargains were off and he needed to get up and get in the shower. Then he was headed to bed. Oh how the tears flowed. Isn't it funny how those tears hurt mamas worse than they ever hurt the kids? Once Jack got to bed we got out his Bible heros book and read about Isaac. The verse with that story tonight was all about obedience. Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Our discussion then went something like this:
Me: Who does obedience please?
Jack: Jesus
Me: Who else?
Jack: You and daddy.
Me: And when you please Jesus and mommy and daddy, who else is pleased?
Jack: Me. Because then I get to do fun things instead of go to bed!
Ahh, he's getting it. If only we could teach these lessons once. :)
Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love - Aristotle

1 comment:

the clemensuz said...

You're a great mommy...I feel like I need to take notes when I read stories like this :)

Your new blog makes me so happy!!