Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Ran For Jan

This weekend our family (minus a sick Sophie) ran in a fundraiser for our dear friend Jan Spencer. It was a fun run - 2.7 miles - to raise money for Jan's trip to Mexco next month where she will undergo Stem Cell Therapy to hopefully reverse her ALS symptoms. It was a lot of fun. We all sported our blue T-shirts and got to visit with Jan and run or walk in the rain. (Running or walking in the rain is always fun)
But there was something a little more fun for me on this Saturday morning.

Jackson was determined to go along with us despite the weather Saturday morning. You see, he knew exactly why we were running. Jan has been a pretty special lady to Jack ever since the day he was born when she came to the hospital in anxious anticipation of his birth sporting two different colored shoes as she dressed in such a hurry! :) Jack and I have had several conversations usually at bedtime when we are doing nightly prayers about Jan and her disease and how it effects her. He is genuinely concerned about his friend and how she feels.

So on Saturday morning Jackson was determined to be a part of this special event. We started off running the 2.7 mile course. Now Jack is a runner as any five-year-old is. You know he runs all over the place but he has never set out on a "run." So this was quite different for him. He ran the first mile without stopping with his dad and I by his side cheering him on. I should mention that we were quite soaked too. Not because of the rainfall but because Jack ran right through the middle of every puddle on the course. At the end of mile one, he decided he needed to walk so Justin walked with him and I continued on.

We all ended up finishing the race and loving on Jan afterwards in our sweaty attire. Jack loved how there were snacks and water for you when you finished the race. I certainly loved seeing all the people come out to rally around Jan and her mission to find a breakthrough in the fight against ALS. However, what I loved the most was seeing my son recognize that he was a part of something big - with a purpose. He was determined to finish that race because he knew he was running for Jan. Running for her because right now, she cannot. Running for her so she can experience a turn around in her symptoms. Running for his friend.

2 comments:

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Awesome post...and just pure sweetness on Jack's part. First of all, I'm a BIG fan of doing ANYTHING to help others and I think it's fantastic that Jack is included on that. Starting them young on the importance of giving is so important and Jack GETS it!!! What a great boy.

Second, you never know - you may have a runner on your hands. My mom was a runner and I started running with her when I was about Jack's age. By age 8 I was running 10k races with her. It was a fun thing to do together and a great way to get exercise!!!

Jami said...

I was so proud of Jack on this morning. He was the only little tike out and he gave it is all. Great job, Jack!