Monday, April 27, 2009

Responsibility 101

Our little man has always been a big help around the house. He helps Justin on trash day collect the trash from around the house. He is the main recycling man in our home and he is good about helping set the table, help with dinner or clear the table when asked.
Lately he has had his eye on a Star Wars Lego kit. Justin and I decided it was time to implement the "chore chart" and give our little man a lesson in delayed gratification. We worked up a little chart that he fills out each week. Each chore in the grid has a money value. We added items like make your bed, bring up your dirty laundry, pick up toys to the tasks he already does around the house. At the bottom we made a place for him to earn an extra quarter each day for laying out his clothes for the next day and having a "NO WHINING" day.
I'm pretty proud of Jacker. He's all about his little chart. He's eager to help out each night and checks off his sheet with us each evening. He has his bank out on his night stand to house the money that he earns.
We are also including some money managing skills along with this little chore chart. If you haven't checked out doorposts.com, you should give it a gander. It has some great resources for teaching your child about saving, tithing and spending. It's hard to believe that my little guy is old enough to learn the ins and outs of responsibility. I love watching him be a little helper and take part in a little delayed gratification....a good lesson for all of us!

4 comments:

Jami said...

What a great idea! It sounds like he is being a very responsible young man!

Tara said...

What a responsible young man you are raising!

I think it is important to teach the money thing to kids at an early age. I do not do allowance per se but if the boys get money for birthday etc we encourage them to save a portion, give a portion to Jesus (we call it Jesus money), and then if there is something they want they can spend some!

Hopefully when they get older they will carry this on with them!

I like the chart idea. My oldest is definitely a list guy and I think this would be beneficial for him!!

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Hey Girl!! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog...you are so nice!! Just so you know, I removed the comment ONLY because my last name was mentioned and I try very hard to keep everything safe...I hope you understand.

Also, what kind of pepper am I suppose to use??!!! Please tell!!

Take Care!
Jamie

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Hey Aimee...as always, great hearing from you!!!!

I use the website Picnik.com to add text to my photos. It's quick, easy, and FREE!!!! Gotta love that!

I add the text and then save them to my computer...I am sure you could print them of like that (in fact I know you can) but since I create a blog book I just leave them on my blog and it will be printed at the end of the year.

Have a beautiful day my friend!

Jamie